Google Translator discontinued

Google is shutting down their Translate API come December and they have already started to require a REFERER in the request. I would have to make quite a lot of changes to make it work just for the rest of November, so the Google Translator Plasmoid is officially discontinued.

https://code.google.com/apis/language/translate/overview.html

Google Translator 0.6 released

Now there’s a shiny, new Google Translator Plasmoid version 0.6.

Well maybe that’s a bit exaggerated because the User Interface hasn’t changed a bit, but there’s a lot of new stuff going on under the hood that will also soon benefit the Currency Converter Plasmoid.

Head on to Google Code or KDE-Look for downloads or get it via "Add Widgets" from the Plasma Desktop.

Changes can be found in the Changelog.

=-=-=-=-=
Powered by Blogilo

Google Translator 0.5 released

Updated my Google Translator Plasmoid to version 0.5 with the biggest news being auto-detection of languages.

Head on to Google Code or KDE-Look for downloads or get it via "Add Widgets" from the Plasma Desktop.

Changes can be found in the Changelog.

Google Translator 0.4.3 released

Updated my Google Translator Plasmoid to version 0.4.3.

Head on to Google Code or KDE-Look for downloads or get it via "Add Widgets" from the Plasma Desktop.

Changes can be found in the Changelog.

Google Translator 0.4.2 released

Finally I got to update my Google Translator Plasmoid to version 0.4.2.

Changes since I last updated this blog includes:

  • 0.4.2
    Much improved error handling when no network connection using Solid. The Plasmoid is now disabled until a connection is established instead of just giving up and dying ;-)
    The Plasmoid is now installed under the "Language" section.
  • 0.4.1
    Improved KIO handling to be able to handle longer text while at the same time limit text to 1200 characters to avoid errors on too long queries.
  • 0.4
    Added a "Swap languages" button.
    TransferJobs are no longer shown in KDE Notifier.
  • 0.3.2
    Languages weren’t sorted after change to KLocale.
  • 0.3.1
    Quick fix for layout error when adding Plasmoid.
  • 0.3
    Use KLocale for getting languages. This cuts down on code lines and it will i18n the language names. Also I don’t have to keep up with the number of Google translations. It’s now a race between Google and KDE ;-)
    Act on no network connection.
    Added nice little Google attribution logo :-)

2 new Plasmoids

For the last 2-3 weeks I have been working on a couple of scripted Plasmoids for KDE4.x written in Python. First I started with the Currency Converter which uses data from Yahoo! Finance. When it was sorta working I figured out that I could create a Google Translator Plasmoid using almost the same code, so now I’m maintaining them concurrently. Well – ’nuff said. Here ther are:

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: