Kernel hell

Ever since I finally installed Kubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx I have had kernel crashes at least once a day, sometimes up to ten times a day. It’s very frustrating and effectively breaks your workflow to put it mildly. I could easily come up with other, more harsh ways to describe the situation ;-)

I have tried a variety of different kernels:

  • 2.6.35-020635rc1-generic
  • 2.6.34-020634-generic
  • 2.6.32-23-generic
  • 2.6.32-22-generic
  • 2.6.32-22-generic
  • 2.6.32-21-generic

Some I can (sometimes) boot and let me work for 0-20 hours, others never reaches the login screen or goes into an infinite reboot loop.

If anyone experience the same or similar the relevant bug report is at https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/585734 and it doesn’t look promising. So now I have come to the conclusion that I need to install a pre-Lucid kernel and see if I can get it running. It will probably degrade X performance (if it even runs) and crash other applications but I’d rather live with that than having to reboot all the time.

Is it at all a viable solution to install a pre-Lucid kernel and if so how should it be done. What about graphic drivers (aren’t they somehow partly kernel modules now?).

Google Translator 0.5 released

Updated my Google Translator Plasmoid to version 0.5 with the biggest news being auto-detection of languages.

Head on to Google Code or KDE-Look for downloads or get it via "Add Widgets" from the Plasma Desktop.

Changes can be found in the Changelog.

Google Translator 0.4.3 released

Updated my Google Translator Plasmoid to version 0.4.3.

Head on to Google Code or KDE-Look for downloads or get it via "Add Widgets" from the Plasma Desktop.

Changes can be found in the Changelog.

Google Translator 0.4.2 released

Finally I got to update my Google Translator Plasmoid to version 0.4.2.

Changes since I last updated this blog includes:

  • 0.4.2
    Much improved error handling when no network connection using Solid. The Plasmoid is now disabled until a connection is established instead of just giving up and dying ;-)
    The Plasmoid is now installed under the "Language" section.
  • 0.4.1
    Improved KIO handling to be able to handle longer text while at the same time limit text to 1200 characters to avoid errors on too long queries.
  • 0.4
    Added a "Swap languages" button.
    TransferJobs are no longer shown in KDE Notifier.
  • 0.3.2
    Languages weren’t sorted after change to KLocale.
  • 0.3.1
    Quick fix for layout error when adding Plasmoid.
  • 0.3
    Use KLocale for getting languages. This cuts down on code lines and it will i18n the language names. Also I don’t have to keep up with the number of Google translations. It’s now a race between Google and KDE ;-)
    Act on no network connection.
    Added nice little Google attribution logo :-)
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: